Just Moved! Playing with Docker on DigitalOcean
In order to learn something new, I find it easier to pick a simple hands on task and force myself through it. No amount of online education will ever get me far if I am not actually trying to accomplish something. For this reason, I find lab based training absolutely necessary. So, we did it. A simple task that:
- Waved goodbye to Rackspace hosting in the USA
- Said hello to the new Canadian region in Digital Ocean
- Deployed a new environment using coreOS
- Migrated existing content to a newly deployed website with WordPress and MySQL docker images
- Set out to reduce hosting costs by 50%
It wasn't a large task, and turned out to be much easier than I thought it would be. I will be learning much more in the coming weeks as I expand and play with the environment, but for now, I thought I'd share some of the resources that helped me get started.